Igá-Monó Item: ZW-23
Please read Donabe Do’s and Don’ts before using for the first time.
Before the first use, this donabe must be seasoned. Without seasoning, the porous clay can form small cracks, causing the pot to leak. With proper seasoning, your donabe will last for many years. (Some styles of donabe, such as Ibushi Gin do not need to be seasoned before the first use as they are made from a special type of Iga clay and glaze, designed to withstand extra high-heat dry cooking.)
How to season Iga Donabe
- Cook about 2 cups of white rice. Set aside.
- Completely dry the bottom of the donabe. If you washed the donabe, leave 24 hours to dry before seasoning.
- Pour water into the donabe until it is about 3/4 full. Add the cooked rice – it should be at least 1/5 of the volume of the water. Stir the water and rice thoroughly.
- Cover the donabe with its lid and cook the rice over low to medium-low heat for around 20-30 minutes. When the rice and water begin to simmer, remove the lid and turn the heat to low. Continue to cook until the mixture becomes a paste. Stir occasionally to make sure the bottom is not burned. Do not let the paste boil.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool for about 1 hour.
- Turn out the rice paste from the donabe. Rinse the donabe thoroughly and let it dry completely before using it for the first time.